Friday 31 October 2014

Santa Claus is out

I wrote a 300 words fiction with Etisalat Nigeria and i want everyone to read and drop comments.

The sudden accident that rendered my face unrecognizable was reported quite sanitary in the news. “A boy knocked down a lady in front of the motherless baby home. Doctors at the university teaching hospital report condition critical but stable”. It did not report the pending death for a proposed marriage of the lady which was just a month ahead.
                That was 7 months ago and my physical appearance has made little progress. I live a recluse with no outside contact. Shop online for everything. I never answer my door, but today I am making an exception. Today is Christmas. What a fitting day for me to socialize for my debut. I long for human contact. My courtyard turned to a garden with Christmas three and a big father Christmas teddy written on it “pick one candy”. I hear footsteps and giggling as children clamor, I crack the door and peek to see their ages. This group is young. The bell rings. I take a deep breath answered via the window, a little girl, wearing a mask “Hi Santa” I speak in a softness not to scare “Aren’t you beautiful today.” She stares at her feet and shakes her head, “no.” “Yes, you are.” My voice gaining composure “you’re Santa and the most beautiful girl in the world.” She pulled the mask. Her face disfigured as if from a fire. “Well, I think you are beautiful, darling.” Her eyes connect with mine. “thank you”. She turns and ran to her mum. I nod my head and gave them a wave.

                The next morning I hear my bell ring. I try to ignore it, but I heard a voice saying it’s the mask girl and her mum. I piped and it was the woman from last night with her daughter without the mask, the mother says in a faltering voice “Neska said she wanted to meet you, this is her first time outside without her mask”. I opened the door and for the first time in 7 months invite someone into my life.

1 comment: